A brief history
The museum is located in the old stables of the castle.
On the floor we recognise the slopes necessary for the evacuation used water.
A stone outside the building features the date of 1641.
The oldest foundations of the castle go back to the XIII century. The castle was built in the present dimensions under the reign of Count John, in the XVII century.
The Thirty Years War, epidemics and famines slowed down the works considerably, so that the body of the lodgings were completed only a century later, around 1720.
The Lords of Wiltz belonged to the oldest aristocracy of the country.
Their genealogical tree goes back to the end of the XI century.
During the crusade, the lords of Wiltz accompanied Godefroi de Bouillon.
John VI acceded to the title of Count in 1629 and was appointed governor of the province of Limbourg (Netherlands).
The last count of Wiltz, Théodore François de Paule de Custine, left Wiltz before the arrival of the French revolutionary troops and died in Bamberg in 1 799.
The tall statue is the original of the statue of Saint John Nepomuk. It is the work of Nicolas Jacques, born in Nobressarat and carpenter in Wiltz. It dates from 1 748.
Formerly, this statue was mounted on the cross of justice in front of the twon hall. It was replaced by a copy.
This saint from Prague is the patron of millers, navigators, priests and the protector of bridges.